PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary Radio fundraising ideas

DJ Rob
15th March 2008, 01:14 AM
I wanted to start a thread on ideas for us to make our monthly donation goals. We are getting close to do or die again. :(

Because we haven't been making our goals the last few months, I wanted to see if any of you had any ideas on what to do to get more people to support us.

Here's one idea I thought of so far....

Doing a raffle where I go buy something (or have a business give us at discount) that our listeners would like to win. Then for each dollar donated to Sanctuary, you would get an entry to win that item at the end of the month. I can't think of what would be the ideal item though...

Ideas?

Client #9
15th March 2008, 01:54 AM
Raffle off some hot goth girls!

Marisa
15th March 2008, 11:46 PM
What about doing pledge drive type stuff on the air? You could offer prizes for donating certain amounts, like $5 gets a CD, $10 gets something else, etc. If a lot of people are bookmarking the streams and not ever coming to the site, this would help reach those listeners who don't see the shoutbox or the donate links.

Getting the prizes would be the tricky part of course, finding artists or businesses who would be willing to donate or sell to you at a reduced cost in exchange for you hyping the item/CD/business on the air.

DJ Rob
17th March 2008, 04:08 AM
I would love to do pledge type stuff and be able to give all of our listeners some cool stuff. This station has been all about giving back for me.

But I haven't had any businesses knocking down our door to give stuff away. And I simply don't have the time needed to pursue them.

Running the station is more than a fulltime job for me and I now have to work another fulltime job just to make the rest of the station's bills.

So for the giveaway stuff to happen, I would need some helpers to find some businesses/artists that may be interested ;)
Maybe some of you who say you can't donate because you are jobless can help in some of your spare time?

I will be more proactive in what I can do. Starting Monday (tomorrow), I will also be doing more live breaks asking for support and probably making a few commercials to run as well. I hate to bug people about it because I do get complaints when I ask for donations too much. But I'm very close to shutting this whole operation down.

tamakay
18th March 2008, 10:15 PM
An idea I really liked that GothicPlanet did for their fund raiser was an auction for a 30 minute DJ spot. The highest bidder(s) could get air time on Sanctuary Radio.

You could also get a couple recordings from your listeners who do donate saying why they support Sanctuary Radio and use those for the donation announcement commercials.

Those are my best ideas for now.

Diva
19th March 2008, 11:31 PM
An idea I really liked that GothicPlanet did for their fund raiser was an auction for a 30 minute DJ spot. The highest bidder(s) could get air time on Sanctuary Radio.

That is such a GREAT idea.....I'm already working on my DJ set! *laugh*

Diva
19th March 2008, 11:49 PM
But I haven't had any businesses knocking down our door to give stuff away. And I simply don't have the time needed to pursue them.

I have a business! Oh, wait. It's really corporate. Not a lot of stuff related to music to give away. *sigh*

Do you have flyers/cards for the station? If so, I'll happily take a stack with me to California (April 4-8), New Mexico (April 28-30) and everywhere else I go for the next few months. And if you know anything about me, it's that I get around. *laugh*

Diva

DJ Rob
20th March 2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the offer Diva! I do have some older flyers that would work until I can get some new ones made. I'll email you a little later to get your addy.

The air time giveaway would be great except most people do not have a studio to use near by to be able to do the show. So I'm open to suggestions on how we could do that for our worldwide listeners. Ideas? Suggestions?

It would be great to get donaters to voice promos. I could put people on the air via phone once I get a new mixer that can do that or if they have a microphone and record something on their computer... Who wants to do one now? Tamakay?

I'm hoping to have time this weekend to do totally new promos that will run as well.

Diva
22nd March 2008, 09:41 PM
The air time giveaway would be great except most people do not have a studio to use near by to be able to do the show. So I'm open to suggestions on how we could do that for our worldwide listeners. Ideas? Suggestions?

Aye, there's the rub.

How about instead of the listener being the DJ, they send in a list of songs and Sanctuary Radio plays 'em?

Allow the listener to title the set, too, because then the promo breaks could say "You're listening to 'An Hour at the Gates of Hell' by Joe Schmoe of Billings, Montana....to find out how you can have your own set of favorite music played on Sanctuary Radio yadda yadda yadda..."

Personally I'd have a really hard time narrowing my own list down to an hour, but that's because I'm a music freak.

And I just set up the microphone on my computer yesterday, which is coincidental and perhaps fortuitous. I did it to use Skype while my love is out of town, but I'm sure I could figure out how to record a listener promo.

After spring cleaning is done, though.

Unregistered
23rd March 2008, 12:35 AM
You could have a paypal donation button where we could donate a sum monthly. I have one set up with escape pod (www.escapepod.org) for 5 dollars a month. I'd be willing to do that here.

samm
24th March 2008, 12:25 AM
This option exists. Check this site here: http://www.sanctuaryradio.com/forums/home.php?pageid=donate :)

Unregistered
29th March 2008, 08:58 PM
Rob, I don't know if you've come across this yet, but there is a search engine called, "Goodsearch," that donates money to non-profits for every search completed. I don't know how you sign up for it or if the accept both Non-profits and Not-For-Profits, but it's worth a try. I work for a non-profit that has Goodsearch automatically come up whenever an employee does a search. Also, if you buy anything from a number of retailers, such as Amazon, a portion of the money spent will go to the specified non-profit. I hope this helps!

Unregistered
29th March 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Rob, Have you heard about the search engine called, "Good Search?" They give a donation to a specified non-profit for each search. I don't know if it matters if you're a non-profit or not-for -profit, but it might be worth a try. Once your non-profit is on the list, then people can also buy things through different retailers, such as Amazon and a portion of the purchase price goes to the non-profit. I hope this helps!

DJ Rob
29th March 2008, 09:22 PM
You could have a paypal donation button where we could donate a sum monthly. I have one set up with escape pod (www.escapepod.org (http://www.escapepod.org)) for 5 dollars a month. I'd be willing to do that here.

We have had that on our donate page for the last month or so ;)

As for Goodsearch, I'll check it out and see if it would be an option.

We already get about 4% from any sales made from Amazon.com if someone goes there through one of the song title links. But that seems to average less than $5 a month.

The Truth
31st March 2008, 08:43 PM
Since you didn't make the goal are you finally going to go away???

SelArom
3rd May 2008, 12:36 AM
what if instead of a monthly monetary goal of $500, you have a standing goal of 100 listeners each pledging a $5 donation per month?

You could start it off with a telethon, thanking listeners on the air just like pbs does it :) maybe some cheap prizes like cds or downloads or maybe some of the great sponsors will be willing to donate rewards for certain contribution levels. since the goal is 100 listeners at $5 each, and somebody makes say a $15/mo pledge maybe they can get a special something or other hell I don't know :P

you can also make the monthly donaters the ones who have access to that song picker on the 80s channel, and maybe make one for the main channel that only $10/mo subscribers get access to or something. and that way instead of this ticker showing how much money is left to collect for the month, it can count down how many monthly supporters are needed to reach the 100 person goal

then you never have to worry about fundraising again!

think about it, it's hard to get people to contribute a big donation like 10 - 20 or more, but who couldn't afford to shell out just 5 bucks, just 5 BUCKS a month! I think this station is worth it, don't you? :)

DJ Rob
3rd May 2008, 01:28 AM
what if instead of a monthly monetary goal of $500, you have a standing goal of 100 listeners each pledging a $5 donation per month?

You could start it off with a telethon, thanking listeners on the air just like pbs does it :) maybe some cheap prizes like cds or downloads or maybe some of the great sponsors will be willing to donate rewards for certain contribution levels. since the goal is 100 listeners at $5 each, and somebody makes say a $15/mo pledge maybe they can get a special something or other hell I don't know :P

you can also make the monthly donaters the ones who have access to that song picker on the 80s channel, and maybe make one for the main channel that only $10/mo subscribers get access to or something. and that way instead of this ticker showing how much money is left to collect for the month, it can count down how many monthly supporters are needed to reach the 100 person goal

then you never have to worry about fundraising again!

think about it, it's hard to get people to contribute a big donation like 10 - 20 or more, but who couldn't afford to shell out just 5 bucks, just 5 BUCKS a month! I think this station is worth it, don't you? :)

I think $5 is good. And that option is already there. In fact, many people have donated amounts between $.50 and a buck. And I'm thankful for anything we can get. If we could get $5 from 1% of our listeners, we wouldn't have to struggle at all for funds. But the truth is, not that many people will donate.

A telethon would be great. But I do not have ANY prizes right now - cheap or not. The record companies no longer send out CDs that we can give away like we used to. They email us MP3s instead since it keeps their costs down.

I have approached MANY businesses about donating any perks that we can give our listeners. So far, nothing has panned out except for a scam artist that tried to destroy the site (Jamie Roxx - you can search the older station news about that scumbag) and the coupon offer Sindustry gives donaters.

Since I already give over 12 hours a day to keep this place going while also having to work another job to make up the difference between our goal and the remaining costs, I would love anyone to take on this task and see if you can get any perks for our listeners/and or donaters. I just don't have the time to do anything beyond keeping the two stations on the air right now. :(

SelArom
4th May 2008, 03:03 AM
thats cool rob i think i remember you mentioning before how hard it is and all, but my point was less about the giveaways and more about changing the goal from a fixed amount to having people sign up... giveaways is just a perk :)

see if people come up to the site and see $450 in the red, they're gonna be like damn I can't afford that much, maybe somebody else will save the station...

but if instead they see

10 out of 100 subscribers, they'll be like hell what's five bucks? I'm really making a difference!

psychological stuff you know :P

DJ Rob
4th May 2008, 04:17 PM
I changed it last night and I've already had a few people ask why we only want $5 donations. I worry the people that do donate will only do $5 instead of higher amounts and we won't make our goal. We'll see what happens.

SelArom
4th May 2008, 05:23 PM
lol sorry rob I hope I didn't sabotage anything, it was just an idea. remember that the goal is to get 100 "subscribing" payments of $5, but that may be too complicated a message to get across... thanks for listening but no hard feelings if it doesnt work out and you change it back it was really just an idea.

DJ Rob
4th May 2008, 05:59 PM
LOL

No biggie. I still think it is a good idea. I changed it a little and hopefully it makes more sense. ;)