PDA

View Full Version : What should we do with our Alternative 80s Channel?

DJ Rob
14th April 2009, 08:20 PM
I want to thank you for listening and supporting Sanctuary Radio!
Our Main Channel is stronger and has more listeners than ever! But our Alternative 80s Channel has seen a drop in listeners over the last 6 months and we are thinking some changes are probably needed.
So we want YOUR opinion about what we should do with the channel!
Is there another music format you want us to do instead?
Should we keep it the same with some tweaks? What kind of tweaks would you suggest?
Without your opinion, we will probably just take it off the air so please give us your input in this thread!

yanks731
14th April 2009, 08:35 PM
is it going to cut down on cost?

DJ Rob
14th April 2009, 09:01 PM
is it going to cut down on cost?

If we turn the channel off?
Not really since as the Main Channel has grown in listeners, I've been reallocating most of our streaming from the 80s Channel to the Main Channel. We are charged on our streaming per listener and the streaming is our biggest cost.

If we keep it on and the listenership goes up, it will actually cost us more since we will need more listener slots.

angelnoir1111
15th April 2009, 01:54 AM
Ah...that's what has happened to the main channel, I used to turn the volume way up to annoy the neighbors but now there's always some mellow 80's song stuck in there and they like it :confused:
Basically the 80's channel plays too much normal stuff and not enough alternative/new wave/punk stuff. I would listen until I started hearing Wham and Simply Red :eek:

I do love Sanctuary still, I'll just turn it down for those songs I don't like :p

DJ Rob
15th April 2009, 02:37 AM
Ah...that's what has happened to the main channel, I used to turn the volume way up to annoy the neighbors but now there's always some mellow 80's song stuck in there and they like it :confused:
Basically the 80's channel plays too much normal stuff and not enough alternative/new wave/punk stuff. I would listen until I started hearing Wham and Simply Red :eek:

I do love Sanctuary still, I'll just turn it down for those songs I don't like :p

We haven't changed the Main Channel so you may try reconnecting using the updated links on our front page. Maybe you getting another station? Make sure you click the Main Channel links instead of the Alternative 80s Channel links ;)

And I did make sure we weren't playing Wham or Simply Red on the Alternative 80s Channel as well :D

Kidlaw
15th April 2009, 02:44 AM
Without your opinion, we will probably just take it off the air so please give us your input in this thread!

I cannot really think of any tweaks that would make listening to the 80's channel any better as I love it the way it is. I honestly can't stand the thought of losing it!

Please let us know what we can do to help keep it on.

skyggefaery
15th April 2009, 03:51 AM
Hi Rob, thanks for asking for my input. Frankly I don't listen to the alternative 80s channel when on the laptop, I'm usually opening up the main channel. Guess maybe do theme hours? Brit punk/US New Wave/all Blondie/Devo/insert band of choice? Ska! there we go! :D

dmjs75
15th April 2009, 02:33 PM
I personally don't know. I tuned in a few times the music is good, its definitely my first choice when i'm in the mood for a lil 80s. I guess maybe i would tune in a bit more often if it was on iTunes its just easier for me.:D

Bubbz
15th April 2009, 04:14 PM
i actually like the 80's channel. If i wereto offer any suggestions, i would definitely look for more obscure 80's music.

joondream
15th April 2009, 04:56 PM
To echo what someone else said, I don't really listen to the 80's station often because I use iTunes to stream the Main Channel (which I generally prefer because there is more obscure 80's played on that channel anyway). The idea of themed hours is a really good one. However streaming the 80's channel on iTunes might be useful too... Unless it already is and I just didn't find it. Using iTunes is a lot easier at times and I think more people are prone to use that then finding your site on the internet.

Also, I don't recall seeing much promotion for the 80's channel itself or 80's music at all. I think I only remember seeing banners 'n such for the Main Channel. If you look at the top of the SR homepage itself it doesn't even mention 80's it says "Alternative Darkwave EBM Electro Industrial Goth".

Anyway, that's my two cents...

Xandria
16th April 2009, 12:37 AM
... I use iTunes to stream the Main Channel... The idea of themed hours is a really good one. However streaming the 80's channel on iTunes might be useful too... Unless it already is and I just didn't find it. Using iTunes is a lot easier at times and I think more people are prone to use that then finding your site on the internet.

Also, I don't recall seeing much promotion for the 80's channel itself or 80's music at all. I think I only remember seeing banners 'n such for the Main Channel. If you look at the top of the SR homepage itself it doesn't even mention 80's it says "Alternative Darkwave EBM Electro Industrial Goth".

Anyway, that's my two cents...

I am new here, but I reiterate the above. I found Sanctuary from random clicking in iTunes and well, your main stream plays what I love most, although I am an 80s child. I'd like to tune in to the 80s stream to see what it's like but my preference is for the obscuria, fringe, one hit wonders etc.

It's possible that most fans tune in to the main stream, which is fabulous, so don't overwork yourself if you don't need to.

X.

Sunari
16th April 2009, 12:51 AM
Honestly, I hadn't given the 80's channel a try before. So, after seeing that input was wanted, I tuned it in while making dinner. Nearly 3 hours later, I still have it playing. I really don't see a problem with the channel's programming at all - it's wonderful! The only input I can think to give is to maybe have more remixes, and to give the channel more exposure, as others have said. The only way I found the main channel was through my daughter, and she found it on iTunes. So, I guess, see if you can get listed through them. Other than that, you're doing an awesome job on both channels in my opinion!! :D

Despairkitty
16th April 2009, 01:46 AM
I suppose I am not much help either. I usually only listen to the main channel. I love 80's, but I just never end up listening to that station. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I love the main channel and try to donate a little each month. Hopefully someone that listens and loves the 80's channel will have some great ideas.

locustgirl
17th April 2009, 12:55 AM
i love the 80s station - it's the music that got me through high school! i agree with sticking to more obscure/weird stuff and avoiding the poppier side - i have to be in a certain mood for it so i'm not always there, but i do like knowing it's there if i need it!

aveluciferi
17th April 2009, 07:11 AM
Sanctuary is an alternative station. Dont think people is here cause of the 80 channel.

heatherinblack
17th April 2009, 10:02 PM
having graduated in '87, i love the new wave and death rock of the 80s, but i come here for the industrial and goth. i won't miss the 80s channel if it goes off the air.

cheers. heatherinblack.

DJ Rob
20th April 2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone for letting us know what you think!
Here's some answers/comments to your posts.

As for getting listed in Tunes, it took Apple over 3 years to finally list our Main Channel on there.

And we have been denied from MANY other player listings like Microsoft's Windows Media Player because of how the 'alternative/goth' format has been wrongly linked to bad things in the media (ie. Columbine) and the general lack of understanding of the culture/listeners. It has been an uphill battle just to do Sanctuary because of this big misunderstanding in the general public.

So I have no idea when/if our 80s Channel will be listed on iTunes.

I would actually prefer people connect/listen directly through our web site since most things on the internet are judged on the amount of hits your web site gets. I would also love to see our forums and other features we have here being used a lot more. The more hits our web site gets, the more attractive it is for bands and labels. And for other things that can help us grow like potential web site sponsors as well.

I think for now, we'll keep the 80s Channel going. And I'll continue to add more cool tunes to it. But please keep the comments coming!

Sunari
20th April 2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, I had no idea about all the misinformation out there about the goth music format - that's a shame!! :( Nor that it took iTunes 3 years to list the main channel - that's just crazy! I am very happy that you've decided to keep the 80's channel around for a while. Since I finally gave it a chance, I find myself listening to it quite frequently. I just wish there were more ways to promote it.

Krona
22nd April 2009, 04:03 AM
Rob,

I don't listen to the 80's channel at all. I only listen to the main Darkwave/Alternative channel, that is it. Wish I could put in more input, but I'm on the fence for this one. It it stays, all is good. If it goes, all is good.

Thanks,

Krona

OraMac
21st June 2009, 09:32 AM
I wish that I could offer some constructive feedback here, but I honesty didnít even realize there was a second stream! Iíve been listening to the main stream through iTunes for years though. Admittedly Iím a pretty finicky listener, but Iím proud to say Sanctuaryís main channel is the only one that I always come back to! And after checking for the first time in a long while, Iíve just realized that the main channel has the highest play count on my playlist. :)

I do like the 80s music I've heard on the main channel, so I would like to try the 80s channel. Does anyone know the URL to stream the 80s channel through iTunes? **not phone, if that makes a difference

DJ Rob
23rd June 2009, 07:04 AM
I wish we did but for now because of budget reasons we only have Windows Media streams for the 80s channel. The reason why we offer Windows Media first is that WM uses less bandwidth than the MP3 format that iTunes requires. WM is not blocked as easy at workplaces and by countries that try to block streaming from North America. iTunes player will not support Windows Media but you can use many different players like WinAmp to listen to it though.

Thanks for the kudos on the Main Channel! We work really hard to keep this place one of the best stations on the net!