Sanctuary Radio Shoutbox

Sanctuary Radio.com Visitor Map

2016 Music Licensing Changes - Not Good News For Sanctuary. WE NEED YOUR HELP MORE THAN EVER!

Here's some of the info we had already posted on our Facebook over the last month in case you have missed it:

As you may have heard, due to the increased rates of music licensing with internet radio stations - hundreds, if not thousands of radio stations on the net closed down on January 1st.

Read more here:
    http://www.radioworld.com/article/cr...casters/277856

http://rainnews.com/crb-small-webcas...nd-strategies/

We here at SANCTUARY RADIO want to assure our listeners that we are NOT one of them IF we make our donation goal. But we can't do it without your support! And we have been short each of the last few months.

Our costs are going up 10-20 times what they were for the past few years, starting this month, depending on what we get billed due to the amount of listeners we have each month with these new and MUCH higher rates.

The new rates just for one of the entities (Sound Exchange) we have to pay for music licensing is $0.0017 per song played, per listener. So If you take 9,000 listeners that are tuned in all month - 12 songs per hour x 24 hours x 30 days x 9,000 listeners x 0.0017 = $132,192.00 for just one month.

If you live in the US, please help us stay on the air by contacting the members of the House Judiciary Committee as they oversee copyright; especially if you are a member of their district.
    Ask them to extend the Webcasters Settlement Act of 2008 (H. R. 7084) specifically the part which allows SoundExchange "to enter into agreements on behalf of all copyright owners and performers to set rates, terms and conditions for webcasters operating under the Section 112 and Section 114 statutory licenses". SoundExchange can't even legally extend or enter into new deals without the CRB or congresses permission.

So: Contact your representatives on the judiciary committee.
    Remind them that microcasters and small webcasters are the best way for smaller "voices" to be heard. Webcasting is dominated by a few large corporate entities and focus on playing the hits that they can easily monetize. Because of this, smaller, independent, upcoming artists are largely locked-out of getting exposure, and that small/microcasters are the place where they get their exposure.

Here's the list:
    Bob Goodlatte
    Chairman - (R) Virginia, 6th
    Rep. John Conyers, Jr.
    Ranking Member - (D) Michigan, 13th
    Rep. Blake Farenthold
    Rep. Bob Goodlatte
    Rep. Cedric Richmond
    Rep. Darrell Issa
    Rep. Dave Trott
    Rep. David Cicilline
    Rep. Doug Collins
    Rep. Hakeem Jeffries
    Rep. Hank Johnson
    Rep. Jason Chaffetz
    Rep. Jerry Nadler
    Rep. Jim Jordan
    Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, Jr.
    Rep. John Conyers, Jr.
    Rep. John Ratcliffe
    Rep. Judy Chu
    Rep. Karen Bass
    Rep. Ken Buck
    Rep. Lamar Smith
    Rep. Louie Gohmert
    Rep. Luis Gutierrez
    Rep. Mike Bishop
    Rep. Mimi Walters
    Rep. Pedro Pierluisi
    Rep. Randy Forbes
    Rep. Raul Labrador
    Rep. Ron DeSantis
    Rep. Scott Peters
    Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
    Rep. Steve Chabot
    Rep. Steve Cohen
    Rep. Steve King
    Rep. Suzan DelBene
    Rep. Ted Deutch
    Rep. Ted Poe
    Rep. Tom Marino
    Rep. Trent Franks
    Rep. Trey Gowdy
    Rep. Zoe Lofgren

If the rates don't change and the support financially isn't there (where donations don't start coming in a lot more than they have), we are considering banning USA IP addresses from accessing our streams (except for supporters who donate $25 or more a month to cover our cost of a streaming slot being used 24/7). Or just going off the air totally if the support isn't there, between the USA listeners and the donations from listeners in other parts of the world.

I can only afford 2/3 of the costs we used to have before the music licensing changes. I can only work so many hours and I only sleep about 5 hours a night so that I can pitch in about $3,000 a month.

So PLEASE donate at our web site so that we can keep going.

Thanks for your support!

We tried the minimum $15 donation for USA listeners to access the streams for February. We ended up getting less than 10 people who paid that and about 30 people who got free access since they had donated in January. And the costs of just have the option aren't even covered with that amount of people.

So I have lowered the USA listener minimum donation to have a login to $5 or more a month as of March 1st. If we get enough people to participate (like in the hundreds or hopefully thousands), then we can totally survive.

Another big issue is we ARE NOT getting enough donations from the rest of the world to even make up 33% of just THEIR costs.

I always agreed to pay for 66% of our total costs and that I would only need the remaining 33% in listener donations. I can't do much more and January's costs which I'm covering (in monthly installments on my credit card) were around $50k.

This is probably going to be the last option before I drown in an amount of debt from the last 2 months where I could be screwed for the rest of my life. I'm taking all of the risk here to give you guys Sanctuary, please donate what you can so we can stay here another 11 years 24 hours a day/7 days a week, live and commercial-free.