Sanctuary Radio Shoutbox

Sanctuary Radio.com Visitor Map

Poll: Should we ONLY let donators (of at least $1 or more/month) access the site/streams?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Rescuing Sanctuary

To rescue SAnctuary. It has to be a pay site. Members/listeners have to pay each month.
    Stongly believe that if every listener, is charged one buck a month, they wont turn their back on Santuary.
    Santuary have up to 5000 listeners a day. So if half of them abondoned Santuary, it dosent matter. Still income enough, to the good side.
    It can be a problem getting new listeners. But with a free 3 months trial, i dont think that would be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by aveluciferi View Post
    To rescue SAnctuary. It has to be a pay site. Members/listeners have to pay each month.
    Stongly believe that if every listener, is charged one buck a month, they wont turn their back on Santuary.
    Santuary have up to 5000 listeners a day. So if half of them abondoned Santuary, it dosent matter. Still income enough, to the good side.
    It can be a problem getting new listeners. But with a free 3 months trial, i dont think that would be a problem
    We may try that VERY soon if we do not make our September goal. I'm at my wits end on this. I'm getting tired of begging every month, struggling to have our listeners pay for a third of our costs while I still pay $1000 a month out of my own pocket to keep this place going. Not to mention all of the time I put in.

The sad thing is as an open site, less than 1% of our listeners donate. I'm not sure how many more would donate if we only offered our site to donaters though. I think a majority would just try to find another "free" site or play from their own mp3s/CDs. I could be wrong through.

It's frustrating to hear from many of our listeners that do not donate but yet talk about all of the clubs and concerts they go to. It shows they could probably throw us a buck or two but just choose not to.

I have created a poll linked to this thread that people can vote on. I will also put the poll on the front page. Everyone please post your opinions/comments/ideas in this thread about this topic.

m Guest
    If there could be some other solution, I would like that... being a student without source of income or credit card prevents me from donating to SR, despite my appreciation.

But, setting aside personal issues, Ave Luciferi is absolutely right.

what if you set a cap on free listeners, but always keep the stream for paid users (maybe tracked by login ip or something?) open and unlimited. or perhaps time-bomb the free listeners to x minutes per hour, or air commercials on their stream or something....

just an idea. i love the station but I certainly don't think it's fair for a handful of people to carry the burden of SO many listeners when only $1 from each a month would support the station indefinitely...

Me Guest

Rescue Sanctuary

I have to agree. It's not fair that so few are helping keep this great station. $1.00 a month isn't much to ask for. I listen to DJ Rob's plead in the necessity of donations and feel that so many people are taking advantage of the station.
    Allowing people only a limited access to the site and to the stream unless they donate I think is a valid point. Now granted there are those few individuals who are in a financial burden and simply cannot donate we all have been there. But I do believe something needs to be done to keep sanctuary alive.

Saving Sanctuary

Sorry I guess I should have logged in when I wrote this....

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    I have to agree. It's not fair that so few are helping keep this great station. $1.00 a month isn't much to ask for. I listen to DJ Rob's plead in the necessity of donations and feel that so many people are taking advantage of the station.
    Allowing people only a limited access to the site and to the stream unless they donate I think is a valid point. Now granted there are those few individuals who are in a financial burden and simply cannot donate we all have been there. But I do believe something needs to be done to keep sanctuary alive.

... Guest

Talking Commercials?

What about getting commercials on like what live365 does? That way another source of income can be used to make the site break even at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SelArom View Post
    what if you set a cap on free listeners, but always keep the stream for paid users (maybe tracked by login ip or something?) open and unlimited. or perhaps time-bomb the free listeners to x minutes per hour, or air commercials on their stream or something....

just an idea. i love the station but I certainly don't think it's fair for a handful of people to carry the burden of SO many listeners when only $1 from each a month would support the station indefinitely...
    Sadly, I wouldn't even know where to start to be able to do this. It looks like it would probably involve buying more servers and writing software. Since there isn't anything out there that does this that is widely used, I would have no idea what the extra cost and time it would take to develop and implement.

Hopefully we can get more and different people willing to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    What about getting commercials on like what live365 does? That way another source of income can be used to make the site break even at least.
    I wish! We have looked at the possibility of running commercials, hoping they could support the station. But the truth is, the advertisers we have contacted won't advertise on a 'alternative/goth' station because of their lack of understanding of the culture/listeners and not knowing how to market to our listeners.

I can't get any businesses (except for one) to donate just $25 for a banner ad on every page of the site...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast