Sanctuary Radio Shoutbox

Sanctuary Radio.com Visitor Map

Poll: Should we ONLY let donators (of at least $1 or more/month) access the site/streams?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rev the poor Guest
    honistly since i'm destitute and would donate if i could/had a bank card, i would surgest comercials as long as there kept approtate to the station, i mean there must be 100's of clothing / music related website that would love to have 5000 people a day hear what they do ect. i know i've struggled to find decent places to get cloths n the past and so long as the add is approprate to the music i'd listen.

m Guest
    and so long as the add is approprate to the music i'd listen.
    Yeah, that sounds like it might work - get alternative advertisement for alternative music? I really like having the commercial free music, but if it would help Sanctuary, I wouldn't mind the advertisements on air.

Unless somebody knows someone who would sponsor us, I don't think we will have commercials.

pj Guest
    I think you should charge to listen to the station... even if that means I may not be able to listen to the station.... but you have to do what you have to do to survive Rob!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rob View Post
    Sadly, I wouldn't even know where to start to be able to do this. It looks like it would probably involve buying more servers and writing software. Since there isn't anything out there that does this that is widely used, I would have no idea what the extra cost and time it would take to develop and implement.

Hopefully we can get more and different people willing to donate.
    I'd be willing to help with this if I can learn more about what you're using. is this part of the vbulletin or the streaming server software? I may not be able to do it right away, but if it can indeed be done, I can eventually find a way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by SelArom View Post
    I'd be willing to help with this if I can learn more about what you're using. is this part of the vbulletin or the streaming server software? I may not be able to do it right away, but if it can indeed be done, I can eventually find a way to do it
    It would have to be developed from scratch since there isn't anything made like it yet. It would probably have to be a new streaming interface...

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    I think you should charge to listen to the station... even if that means I may not be able to listen to the station.... but you have to do what you have to do to survive Rob!!!!
    You can't afford $1?

pj Guest
    honestly rob no I can't, whenever I make the choice to go out which by the way is maybe once a month I usually have all of 10 bucks that I stole out of my $30.00 a week grocery money. Like I said you need to do what can to take of yourself and the station and if that means I cannot listen because I can't donate then so be it. I really wish I could be more financially secure where I could afford to donate money to the station which I wholeheartedly support and enjoy, currently I am barely able to purchase the things that I need to survive. I really hope that you guys find a way to make the station survive, with or without me.

The Shadow Guest
    I see a lot of you out each weekend that say you cant donate cause your broke. Give up a drink and put it towards something better for you and the world!

Other formats

What I feel about the situation is pretty much what I think most everyone else is feeling; while I would prefer everyone could listen for free, its just not economically feasible, nor is it easy or a sustainable to allow just a few to shoulder the burden.
    Here are several scenarios I came up with: Instead of $1 per month, ask for $5 per listener a month or even $10. This will cover those that can't or won't donate, R & D, and the purchase of new music/ equipment. One can easily spend $5-$10 at a club/bar on 1-2 drinks in one night nowadays.
    Second scenario, move to a membership model. Not my favorite but it might be a necessary evil. You might have some people stop listening but the station would survive. It would be rough at first until you can reach a level of sustainability and then you can grow beyond that through more subscriptions (keeping the donation button to help with the R&D and equipment repair/replacement/upgrade cost and monthly shortages).

Grendal
    -Anonymous fuzzy goth guy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast